Saturday, November 13, 2004

Relationship Milestones

The question of the day is: What are the most significant milestones for you in the evolution of an intimate, committed relationship? For examples, in what ways do your expectations change when you first kiss and hold someone? First say you love someone? Start seeing someone exclusively? Or first mention marriage?

When I first meet someone as a single person, the initial dialog is to find out if the person has depth and common interests with me. Depending on the resulting chemistry or lack there of and their reaction to me sets the tone for the furtherment of the relationship. Will it be romantic or friendly is determined either in the first date or the 3rd usually. Once the courtship is established the thrill of the first kiss can not be matched and will either further the chemistry or tank but I reserve judgment, a bad kisser does not a problem always make. The question becomes longevity and whether or not the person has the constitution to put up with my array of shit. The longest relationship I've ever had romantically was 5 1/2 hell years, mostly we stayed together because neither of us wanted to try dating again as we hated it, we had a comfort level for each others BS and a partner for sex when ever the urge tickled us, better than being alone or rejected it seemed. I try to keep the "I love you's" to a bare minimum before the exclusivity of a thing and marriage after a certain amount of time amounts to fish or cut bait pal. But that was then and now I want my damned happily ever after.

No comments: